Friday, September 3, 2010

VISION PRIESTHOOD 2020

It is two thousand years that priesthood has been on rolls, so I feel there is nothing to add to the vision and ideal of priesthood, as we have had enough great personalities as priests who went on to become great and exemplary saints of their times and an inspiration for us of these recent times. Yet, what I find today is that we lack today the thirst of those of old, thus we need to re-dedicate ourselves. Thus rewriting of our vision to know what was their vision and what I aspire to be as a priest for God and for the people.



1. A MAN OF GOD: It means people must see in me the presence of God. I must be a man of prayer united in meditation and contemplation, my life and activities fully directed and dedicated to God. I must seek his will in everything led by Holy Spirit. My life must show holiness and as servant of God, I must bring to people - God and his blessings. I must be detached from the worldly things like money, possession, power, ambition, or self-seeking motives. I must bring sacraments to the needy and celebrate the sacrifice of the Eucharist.

2. A MAN FOR OTHERS: -Priest is often seen as persons from above. I need to be simple and person of ordinary people as a relational being – mediating between God and man. I must be at their service like Christ himself caring and liberating people in their ordinary situations and as their leader, shepherd and pastor to look and do all for their spiritual, intellectual and physical requirements.

3. AS A PERSON: My personality must show forth myself as a virtuous and integrated human person. I must exhibit holiness, humility, love for poor and needy, hope of people, vision for future, listening attitude, openness to superiors, well motivated. I must be brave, fearless, trustworthy, committed, responsible, mature in thought, cleaver in decision making, honest, dignified, well balanced, hospitable, happy and healthy, fatherly and brotherly, obedient servant, emotionally balanced and full of human qualities.

4. ALTER CHRISTUS : I must reflect Christ - the first missionary sent by God, to give my energy, potentials and talents for others. I need to be the sign and instrument of God to guide people – bringing good news and liberating them. It means continuing the work of Jesus as priest. To meet this I need power and grace from Jesus himself, thus I need to be in constant touch with God and a deep desire to have his graces and guidance of Holy Spirit. Because it’s not my will, wishes, whims and fancies to be done but the will of God, as rightly said of Christ, ‘I have no hands to help but yours, I have no mouth to speak but yours, I have no heart to love but yours.’ Thus, I must be alter Christus.

5. AS A PASTOR: I must show servant leadership, available to people, love and concern for the people, man of dialogue, full of human goodness. I should strive to love the truth, to be loyal, to respect every person, to have a sense of justice, to be true to my words, generous man of integrity, well-balanced judgments and behavior, self-control, hospitable, sincere, ready to serve, open, encouraging, quick to figure, people oriented as true caring shepherd.

No comments: